In our daily work, consulting with many interesting individual clients over the twenty year history of our private practice, we are privileged to be able to learn from the wisdom & experience of the people we are working with. A frequent insight that is expressed by many of our more senior age clients (55+ ) was that they regretted not having spent more time just thinking about life and where they were going. Instead, they seemed to have been on a busy non-stop ride throughout their lives.
So often the demands and busyness of life can keep us from taking a step back to look at the bigger picture.
Why do people in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s & 50’s often find it hard to set aside time to think?
- Life is busy – as life gets busier and more demanding we can sometimes struggle just to stay on top of matters and cope with it all.
- We are on an entertainment ride – we live in a 24/7 consumer – entertainment culture. It is not in the best interests of the media or entertainment industry for us to switch off and just spend time thinking. Instead, we are offered a never ending, seamless feed of exciting shows, series and sporting events.
- Ants in our pants – many people just can’t keep still long enough to think.
- Quiet contemplation is not really valued or promoted in our society. The old Greek philosophers would be turning in their graves to see how little talk of deeper issues there is in the public arena today.
When we take time to think we can:
- Look at the big questions. What is the meaning of life? What do I believe in? What happens to us after we die?
- Create life goals. What would I like to achieve? What things are really important to me? What do I need to be focusing on in 2015 to help me reach my goals?
- Evaluate our journey. What have I been learning? Am I on track to reach my goals? How have I been distracted? What do I need to be doing differently? Whom can I be building a stronger relationship with?
- Appreciate the present. What good things are happening in my life presently and how can I appreciate them more fully? How can I put my problems into perspective?
As always we would be delighted to make the time to talk with you professionally – please choose to contact us and book an appointment in your own good time !