Perhaps you have been thinking about working with a life coach to help you set your direction for the future, to achieve your goals and dreams - but you're not sure where to start.
Before you consult Google or your local paper, consider this: the life coaching industry in Australia is currently unregulated.
That means just about anybody can set themselves up as a professional life coach, without any qualifications, skills, experience, or even an aptitude for the role.
It’s a sobering thought.
Life Coaching by a Psychologist
However, there is a way to find a reputable life coach – and that’s by looking for a registered psychologist providing these services.
What many people don’t realise is that psychologists don’t just provide counselling and therapy for mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress, etc.
Psychologists can also help you to become more effective in any – or all - areas of your life: work/life balance, career, relationships, family, health and wellbeing, leadership, or finances.
This is because the practice of psychology is about helping people to:
- challenge and change the thinking patterns which may have been holding them back; and
- learn the skills and strategies to bring about behavioural change, so they can achieve the goals that are important to them.
It's Your Choice: Life Coach or Psychologist
Here are some other things to consider if you are weighing up the choice between a life coach or psychologist.
- Training. A psychologist has completed several years of intense study and training in methods and strategies which have been scientifically proven to be effective.
- Accountability. A registered psychologist is accountable to professional bodies such as the Australian Psychological Society (APS), and the Allied Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). They are bound by strict rules and guidelines around things like ethics in practice, professional supervision, and keeping their skills and learning up to date.
- Mental Health Support. If it becomes apparent during the life coaching process that the client has mental health problems, a psychologist is equipped to identify and arrange appropriate support and treatment.
Life Coach Gold Coast
Here at Guidelight Psychology, we provide holistic coaching and counselling services to help you achieve balance and fulfillment in your life.
Our team includes a nutritionist, and a health and wellness consultant, in addition to several registered psychologists experienced in life coaching.
If you want to be the very best that you can be, we would love to help! You can make an appointment today with one of our team of professionals, to discuss the many benefits of life coaching and get you started on the journey to your goals!